If you are living in city living a sedentary lifestyle, exercise is not an option for you, it's a must. Running, brisk walking, swimming, gymming, yoga, dancing, cycling are some of the popular options available for people living in a city. Although a regular gym-goer, I personally vouch for running because of the following reasons:
1. Running is convenient. You can virtually do it anywhere and you can do it alone. You don't need any equipment beyond a pair of shoes (you don't even require these, if you go for barefoot running). So, running is cheap, easily doable, accessible, and easily maintainable even when you are traveling.
2. Very few exercises can be continued once you are past a certain age and running is one of them. I have seen more 50+ marathon runners than 25-. You can start running at any age.
3. One of the reasons people get addicted to running is the release of mood-enhancing chemical Endorphins (a morphine-like substance originating from within the body). Endorphins increase the sensation of pleasure (also called as Runner's High), which is why people feel euphoric after they complete marathons.
4. Don't even get me started on health benefits of running.
- Running is classified as a vigorous or high-intensity form of aerobic exercise. One minute of running works your body as hard as roughly two minutes of moderate-intensity activities such as biking or brisk walking. The calorie-burning effects of running are even greater in relation to other forms of aerobics.
- Running is one of the best forms of exercise for losing or maintaining a consistent weight.
- Running increases your levels of good cholesterol, boosts your immunity, and significantly lowers your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Not all of the benefits of running are physical. Running can provide an noticeable boost to your confidence and self-esteem. Running is one of the best ways of relieving stress and tackling depression.
- Running improves your sleep quality and can help you quit junk food and bad habits.
Of course, as with any other form of exercise, running is prone to injuries and fatigue. But with proper training and knowing your limits, you can easily eliminate those. Running will leave you feeling more energized, more focused, and you would be able to enjoy your life better than before. Happy Running!