Do you get caught by the Bangalore’s traffic cops quite often? Then following are some important things you might not be aware of:
- The Traffic Police cannot stop a motorist just to examine the driving licence or vehicle documents. He can stop the motorist only if he/she has violated any traffic laws or if he/she is driving drunk.
- When caught for traffic violation, the fine you pay must be limited to the violation. In other words, the police can't bloat the bill saying that you have no insurance cover or emission certificate, etc.
- According to the State's Road Transportation Act, no policeman can slap a penalty on you just because you have no insurance or emission certificate. If you have not purchased insurance cover for your vehicle, then the police officer must issue a notice, not impose penalty. You must be given 15 days' time to purchase insurance cover and one week for obtaining the emission certificate. Days later, meet the sub-inspector at his station with the insurance cover or emission certificate, so that he will annul the charge at once. Police can fine you only if you fail to produce these documents within the stipulated period.
- If your vehicle is brand new, then you need not bother about obtaining the emission certificate for one full year.
- The best way to teach the police a lesson is filing a written complaint with their higher officials and, a week later, using the Right to Information Act (RTI) to know the action taken against them. Remember, any question or application filed under RTI cannot be ignored and no official is bold enough to ignore the RTI Act.
Some important links:
- Traffic fines according to Bangalore City Traffic Police
- Some Important Provisions of Law.
- Complaints can be submitted here.
- Traffic Helpline: 080 - 25588444 / 555 OR 080 - 22943030 / 3131
- Emergency number: 103
- More contact details.
It’d be a good idea to keep the printouts of first two links always with you for the reference while riding. Happy riding!