Monday, August 07, 2006

My Experinces @ IISc

After almost two months of vacation (which I wasted(?) in sleeping,watching tv, attending parties n all n hey..no orkutting), I was getting anxious to get back to work. I boarded the train to Bangalore at Nagpur station on 29th July. The journey was nice in the company of an MBBS student (no need to tell it was a gal) who shared a side berth with me.

When I arrived here in Bangalore on the night of the 30th, I started searching for an auto which could get me to IISc from the railway stn. As I came just out of the station, I was surprised to see a counter mentioning "Indian Institute of Science Welcomes freshers". I reported to the counter n some seniors welcomed us (me & other IISc students in my train) & took us to the hostel in a van. This was the first time that I was traveling in a vehicle which had written "On Government duty" on it. The first two days were quite hectic because of the admission process, medical check up n registering the courses for the first term. My legs started paining like anything, thnx to the huge IISc campus. The very next day, I went to a shop n bought a bicycle. The next few days we tried to explore the IISc campus n nearby areas.

To start with, Bangalore climate is beautiful. It's cold out here most of the time. Believe me, it really is the greenest city. IISc campus is huge n well maintained. I think govt is really concerned abt the sporting activities over here. There r separate grounds for cricket, football, hockey, Lawn tennis court, volleyball, basketball, badminton... There's a Gymkhana building which consists of a well equipped gym, chess room, table tennis room, billiards room, carom room n of course a movie hall....n hey gymkhana is not only abt sports n entertainment. There's a spacious library in the gymkhana building which has books in 7-8 languages including marathi, hindi, english...Now coming to the curricular facilities, labs r 24 hrs open for the students. In addition to the department labs, there's one Super computer Education n Research Center where pc's with huge monitors r available for surfing, coursework etc. Each student is allotted an adviser who's a faculty member n who helps the student in each n every matter, may it b a course selection matter or a personal matter. In the 2nd yr, each student is allotted a pc in the lab for doing project work. There's a credit system in which each course has certain credits n one has to complete a certain min no. of credits in each term by selecting the subjects of one's choice frm a long list of subjects. One gets a CGPA out of 8. Hostel blocks r good enough. The new blocks even hav door bells in all the rooms. Regarding food matters...there's a juice center in the campus with subsidized rates. Mess food is as usual. There r 3 messes...both veg n non veg available.There's no word like limited(which we used to hav in spce mess) for any food item...not even for the sweets, ice creams, etc....thnx Govt of India for being so generous.

Everything is available inside the campus including a hair cutting saloon, a general store, a laundry, a tailor n a health center. For the readers, students amongst themselves hav formed a lending library where english novels r available on nominal charges. The seniors out here r very helpful...no ragging....n wait...the most important thing....gals....they're much better than wat i expected...thnx to deptts of biotech, physics, chemistry,ecology...The other day, we had Freshers party which included a Salsa workshop n dj nite.

While we're discussing all these, one thing that is worth mentioning is the expenditure. the annual college fees is Rs. 7515 p.a., hostel fees around 5000 n mess charges around 1100 p.m. One gets a stipend of Rs.5000 per month by GOI. For getting this, in IITs n other colleges, one has to do RA/TA ships. But here in IISc, no RA/TA ships. All the money is urs without any effort. Of course, the workload is too much. As told by the seniors, we'll hav a hell lots of assignments, projects n studies....

So, that's all I felt like sharing with all of u. I hope I get thru these studious hardships successfully...

11 comments:

  1. Great to hear about all that stuff...

    Keep rockin.. and keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oye!!
    nice journey wid the MBBS wali,
    much better gals than ur expectations,
    Salsa

    Sudhar gaya luks like!!
    heheheee....

    keep bloggin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, the scholarship amount was hiked to Rs. 8k in the second year of our course B-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u..want to learn more about iisc..can u help me because right now im confused between iit and iisc

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice article!
    very informative.
    would you please guide me
    i have some doubts about the entrance and course selections
    the websites are not so useful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, let me know what do you want to know.

      Delete
    2. can you suggest any study material for jam(chemistry)
      or anything in general to help me crack it?

      Delete
    3. As I have mentioned in my post, I had not referred to any special material during my preparation. Many people do join coaching classes or refer to study material, but I'd not be able to guide you on that.

      Delete